Senior Scientific Data Engineer
Mountain View, California 94035 - US
The Intelligent Systems Research and Development Support (ISRDS) contract supports NASA
Ames Research Center in developing and infusing advanced information systems technology into
NASA missions. Our scientists, engineers and information technologists support research and
development of critical enabling intelligent technologies for all of the NASA Mission Directorates.
This SGT‐led team has supported technology development for NASA space exploration missions
such as LADEE and TESS, supports payload development for the International Space Station, and
develops robotics and autonomous operations technologies for lunar and planetary exploration.
ISRDS engineers provide support in aeronautics for autonomous operations of unmanned systems
and for meeting the challenges of expanding capacity in the aviation industry.
NASA is developing the Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Traffic Management System (UTM)
(https://utm.arc.nasa.gov/index.shtml) for enabling safe, efficient and fair UAS operations. NASA
Ames Research Center partners with the FAA and commercial UAS service providers in this effort.
Our research platform will resolve conflicting flight plans, replan active flights, report events to the
FAA, and perform other operations with no human in the loop.
We collect data from UAS flight tests to create Measurement of Performance (MOP) Analytics for
data exploration and for evaluation of platform readiness. We are seeking a Senior Scientific Data
Engineer to be part of our agile software engineering team. Within your experience in software
development, you focus on database schema and writing SQL queries. You will have ownership in
our processes, technology and tooling decisions, and feature development. You are an expert at
communicating insights and recommendations to audiences of varying levels of technical
- Implement transformations (likely in SQL) from various raw data sets (the data collection database, third party data sets, logs) to an analytics-friendly data structure.
- Model real-world data in both RDBMS and NoSQL persistence layers.
- Introduce and integrate new business intelligence tools such as Tableau/Microstrategy or.similar.
- Work with data stakeholders to refine and respond to their ad hoc requests, and improve.existing reporting processes.
- Implement Java backend systems and/or Python tools.
Required skills and experience:
- 5 to 10 years’ experience with SQL schema modeling and evolution, and writing complex and sophisticated queries using SQL.
- Collect, process, and analyze real-time, streaming data in a cloud environment.
- 5 years’ experience in one high level language such as Python or Java.
- Experience with statistical/mathematical software (Matlab).
- Proficient understanding of version control best practices using Git.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate.technical solutions to research scientists, engineering teams, and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering.results in a dynamic environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in quantitative discipline such as Computer Science, Statistics, Math, Engineering, Data Science or Business Information Systems.
- Strong experience developing, testing, and delivering high quality software and systems
- Strong experience processing, filtering, and presenting large quantities of data.
- Familiarity with different data models (e.g., relational, denormalized).
- Familiarity with data tools such as Kinesis/Kafka, Redshift, Spark, DynamoDB/Cassandra.
Contact: Patryk Chumura (201) 843-4400 ext. 2250