Composite Assembler II
Baltimore, Maryland 21215 - US
With minimum supervision, perform functions related to fabricating, assembling and performs composite layup by applying knowledge of working characteristics of bonding techniques by utilizing precision instruments, hand tools, power tools, machines and equipment. Must be available to work overtime and occasional Saturdays.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works from process sheets or verbal instructions identifying the type and sequence of operations needed to construct a variety of parts to meet contractual requirements.
- Prepares tooling/fixturing used for fabrication and coupon testing.
- Operates standard equipment to remedy in-process conditions such as excess or insufficient resin, trapped air pockets or delamination.
- Prepares ingredients such as resins, catalysts, fillers, accelerators and colors, according to process.
- Sets up and operates forming machines and presses, or laminates plastic cloth and resins or premium pregnated cloth onto layup mold or bonding fixture, to shape parts.
- Wraps bonding fixture or mold in vacuum bagging materials, attaches fittings to mold or fixture, such as vacuum connections, thermocouples, and probes, and exhausts air from vacuum bag to prepare lamination for curing or bonding.
- Cuts material to size using shears, knives, cutters, scissors, router, or saw.
- Lays out cutting lines on materials, such as sheet stock, fiberglass or core maximum, following template pattern, blueprints, sketches or sample part, using measuring and marking instruments.
- Set-up and operate curing ovens and autoclaves to meet defined objectives as needed.
- Cures product either under heat lamps or in oven, hooking appropriate heat and cooling lines, adjusting steam pressure and water valves as needed.
- Verifies work using verniers, height gauges, dial indicators, micrometers, etc.
- Performs structural testing utilizing mechanical test equipment to verify bond line integrity.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
MUST BE A U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Requires a High School Diploma. Prefer a High School Diploma with additional coursework in a related field.
- 2-4 years experience working as a Composite Technician, Assembler or Machinist in the Aerospace, Auto or Boat Manufacturing industry preferred.
- Must have Lay Up/Bonding experience.
- Experience reading and interpreting mechanical drawings.
- Good mechanical skills.
Contact: Janet Townsend